Monday, May 23, 2011

Sugar-free Strawberry Refrigerator Jam

Last summer, I started canning again. My husband found a 50 lb. crate of pickling cucumbers at Bountiful Baskets, and the rest is history. Now I like to find ways to use the extra food that we have so that it does not go to waste. This recipe calls for some of my sugar-free applesauce from last season, but store bought will substitute equally.


In early May, when we did not eat the entire flat of strawberries, I came up with a yummy sugar free refrigerator jam recipe. I am STILL missing my memory stick adapter, but I hope it turns up soon so I can add some of the photos I took during the process. This recipe makes enough for you to share with neighbors, depending on what size jars you use (I used old pickle and jelly jars).

What you need.

4 envelopes Knox unflavored Gelatin
2 c. water, room temperature
6 ½ c. strawberries, diced.
1 ½ c. Applesauce from last year’s canning.
¼ cup PureVia Stevia
½ c. lemon juice
Several leftover jars, sterilized.
Canning funnel, optional

Directions:

In a large saucepan, mix water and Know packets. Stir over low heat until completely dissolved. Add strawberries, applesauce, PureVia and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.

Spoon mixture into jars, using canning funnel if available. Screw on lids. Cool for an hour then refrigerate. Jam sets overnight.


More about this recipe:

Jam recipes traditionally call for A LOT of sugar. While this recipe must be stored in the refrigerator, it is a much healthier option than traditional jams and jellies. Lemon juice enhances the flavor of the strawberries while the applesauce adds sweetness naturally. I have been experimenting with PureVia recently, and have found it an amazing substitute for traditional sugar. There will be more healthy alternatives recipes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment