Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mom's Zucchini Squash Bread

Mom does not have a concrete recipe for her bread, or anything else really, which is why I also have the habit of estimating all the ingredients by scooping with my favorite measuring cup. Lucky for me, my estimated measurements work out most of the time. Here is mom's recipe, with more exact measurements, including the specific ingredients that I use.

If you are new to growing zucchini, you will soon learn that the squash grows quite large as long as you water it. When I have more zucchini than I can use or give away, I grate it into a very large bowl. Then I measure out about 2 1/2 cups portions into Ziploc freezer bags and toss in the deep freezer for future use. Let it thaw before using in this recipe. Water will separate from the meat in the freezer, so draining the extra liquid will help maintain the quality of the end product.


Mom's Zucchini Squash Bread

1 C. Oil (I use Canola)
3 Eggs
2 C. Sugar (I like using raw sugar, available in the bulk section of the grocery store)
2 C. Grated raw zucchini
3 tsp. Vanilla
3 C. Flour (I like to use Wheat Montana, Gold, it's even available at Walmart)
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon (I usually add a little extra)

Optional ingredients:

*1/2 c. nuts, your choice.
*pinch of Nutmeg – something I like to add for winter baking.
*1/2 c. or more crushed pineapple, drained



If you are making 2 standard bread size loaves, preheat the oven to 325.
For half loaf pans, preheat the oven to 350.

Combine oil, eggs, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well blended.

Oil your bread pans. Fill each about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Full size pans bake for about an hour, half-pans for 45 minutes. Cooking times vary, and will be done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan for 10 - 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool completely on a rack before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment